Saturday, August 8, 2009

If I log into my university email through their server while I am looking at other things, can they know what?

I have looked at, eg. My bank account?

If I log into my university email through their server while I am looking at other things, can they know what?
If you are accessing your mail from outside campus the answer is no. The only people who could possibly see what you are doing is those "upstream of you" (which would be your ISP).





In either case connections with a bank are done over SSL (secure sockets layer) so the information is encrypted. Look for the https: in the address bar. The 's' means the connection is encrypted.





On a related note, there is no way for one page you are viewing to interact with another page and see what you are doing unless it is exploiting some kind of flaw in the software you are using (your browser). Assuming your university is not trying to hack you, you are all set.
Reply:The question would be which ISP are you logged into.





If you are using the university server to browse the internet then they could potentially have access to the website information and if you are not connecting via SSL then any information you browse could be picked up by a sniffer.





Your ISP would have the ability to log your browsing activity... the actual packets would not be captured but the potential is there.





Just being logged into your email would not give your university access to your browsing history if you are not logged in thru their servers to browse.





Good Luck


No comments:

Post a Comment