Monday, July 13, 2009

Can someone else use my old email address from the same server and receive emails from my contacts?

I had a simple email address for several years. I recently changed it but it is a simple address and may be picked up by another person using my former server. Theoretically, could a person intending to email me type in my old email address and it wind up in the mailbox of the new user of my former email address?

Can someone else use my old email address from the same server and receive emails from my contacts?
It depends on the domain owner's policy about old accounts. Sometimes they get recycled immediately, sometimes there's a waiting period, sometimes the name is retired permanently. If the name is recycled, yes, the new owner would get your friends' emails and could even recover passwords that were still linked to that email address.
Reply:They would need the same password to be entered for them to get any email from a provider - So highly unlikely.

statistics

No comments:

Post a Comment